Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Kale Chips

yes, kale - one of those leafy green vegetables you pass up at the grocery store. Supposedly it's really healthy, chock full of antioxidants or vitamins or some of that other stuff that makes your body feel good. Unfortunately, unless you're a goat or a vegan, it's probably not something you would eat voluntarily.

I was gifted a bunch of it from my neighbor and after I spent close to half an hour de-bugging it (yay for organic produce) I figured I had to eat it, even if I didn't really want to. Obviously, I could have put it in soup or baked it into lasagna, but I really just wanted to try it before I ruined a whole recipe with it.

Kale chips, as it turns out, aren't bad. Sure, they've got a bit of a yardwork aftertaste, but they've got a decent crunch and with enough seasoning, almost anything can be good.

a bunch of kale or other leafy green
some olive oil
some salt or other spices you like (I added parmesan cheese to one batch and they were even better)

Preheat the oven to 300, wash the hell out of the dirty leaves, dry the hell out of the now-clean leaves, toss the leaves in a bowl with some olive oil and whatever spices you like, pop them in the oven for 20 minutes, then eat them and enjoy feeling smug and healthy until you wash them down with a milkshake or half a cup of bacon grease.

(not pictured: leafy greens - clean ones, damp ones, dry ones and finally crunchy ones - if you're really dying to see something similar, head outside and look at a tree)

No comments:

Post a Comment