Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thanksgiving in July

Sometimes I go grocery shopping at one of those discount grocery stores, one of those places that sometimes has really cool stuff and that yummy greek yogurt for cheap, but sometimes they have nothing but frozen shrimp pasta and weird gluten-free waffles. Aaaaaanyway, I went there the other day and they had some of boxed stuffing with dried cranberries in it (for some reason, I love fruit in savory dishes), which is always a fast and easy side dish and why do I have to wait until November to have it? So I grabbed a box of it (which turned out to be a box of stuffing with apples in it - which is fine, it's still fruit, you know?).

Of course, I know that the grocery industry thinks if you want to eat turkey at any time that ISN'T the holidays, you must be rich and can afford to pay a trillion dollars for it, so I picked up some ground turkey, too (and a packet of turkey gravy because I cannot make gravy to save my life).


1 lb of ground turkey
1 egg
bread crumbs (if necessary)
1 packet of turkey gravy
Thanksgiving-esque spices (poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, celery seed, garlic)
1 box of stuffing mix and/or some instant mashed potatoes (or homemade stuffing or homemade mashed potatoes, but we're going for speed here)

Turn on the oven to 350
Dump the turkey, egg, bread crumbs and spices of your choice into a bowl, mix it up and form into meatballs. Bake them on a cookie sheet for about 15-20 minutes (or until done - I don't know, I don't really set a timer or anything)

While those are baking, prepare the stuffing and/or mashed potatoes and the gravy.

Serve the meatballs on top of the stuffing with a light blanket of gravy.


(not pictured: meatballs, stuffing and gravy - you've seen all of this stuff before)

No comments:

Post a Comment